Remote delivery of this CITB course is now possible under CITB’s “Appendix Q – Emergency Training Provision Scheme Rules”, which have been raised in response to the current Coronavirus Pandemic, allowing you to get your SMSTS qualification by doing an online course.
Our SMSTS online courses are now rolled out using Zoom or similar software options to achieve virtual classroom environments.
This SMSTS (Site Management Safety Training Scheme) course is designed for project and site managers, supervisors. It is also beneficial for SME owners.
Possession of this qualification demonstrates a standard of competence as a site manager. It covers all relevant legislation and aspects which affect safe working in the building, construction and civil engineering industries.
SMSTS Course Details
The SMSTS course, in the first instance, aims to help site managers, agents and supervisors to:
- Effectively manage health and safety on site. To do this in accordance with current legal provisions, and within the context of their management or supervisory role.
- Develop an understanding of responsibilities and accountability for site health, safety and welfare. Also it teaches them to recognise a safe site is efficient, economical and productive.
At the end of the period of training, as a result, delegates will be aware of, and able to:
- Implement all health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation which affects them during their daily work.
- Implement new guidance and industry best practice.
- State their duties and responsibilities with regards to health, safety, welfare and the environment.
SMSTS Refresher – Site Management Safety Training Scheme
This SMSTS Refresher (Site Management Safety Training Scheme) course is for site managers who need to renew their SMSTS certification.
The course aims to refresh your understanding of the key responsibilities and also the accountability for site safety, health, welfare and the environment.
SMSTS Refresher Course Details
- Includes a review of recent changes to health, safety and welfare and environmental legislation. In addition, it covers how this affects the role of Site Managers.
- Also, a review of any proposed or impending legislation, which might affect the role of the Site Manager.
- Finally, the implementation of changes required by new legislation, latest HSE Guidance and best practices.
This course is accredited by the CITB.
A good level of written and spoken English is required to successfully complete this course. If you have any concerns regarding this please contact our office and we discuss available options (e.g. hiring a translator at an additional cost).
How is the course delivered / assessed:
The information on this course is delivered through a series of cases studies, group discussions and individual presentations. At the end of the five days or two days (refresher) candidates will be required to pass a multiple choice test.
What is awarded after completion of the course?:
Once the course has been completed candidates will receive a CITB recognised Site Safety Plus certificate.
When does the qualification expire?:
The certificate lasts for 5 years. Please be aware there is no longer a grace period for this course.
How to renew the qualification?:
In order for candidates to renew their qualification they must attend the 2 day refresher course. If candidates do not attend this and their qualification expires the full 5 day SMSTS course will have to be taken again.
On all the CPCS and CITB courses that we offer, you can claim money back if you are a ‘CITB Levy Payer‘. If you have any questions please contact us for more information.