Mental Health First Aid (MHFA)
Health & Safety Courses
£300 + VAT
Health and Safety Training
First Aid, Mental Health, Health & Safety
2-Day Mental Health First Aid Course
- This two-day course qualifies your employees as Mental Health First Aiders, giving them:
- An in-depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing.
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of a range of mental health issues.
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress using the Mental Health First Aid action plan.
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening.
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether through self-help resources, internal support such as EAP, or external sources such as their GP
- An understanding of how to keep themselves safe while performing their duties.
- Two-day face to face course across four manageable sessions.
- Learning takes place through a mix of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities.
- Each session is built around a Mental Health First Aid action plan.
- We limit numbers to 16 people per course so that the instructor can keep people safe and supported while they learn.
Everyone who completes the course gets:
- A certificate of attendance to say they are a Mental Health First Aider.
- A manual to refer to whenever they need it.
- A quick reference card for the Mental Health First Aid action plan.
- A workbook including a helpful toolkit to support their own mental health.
- A copy of the Line Managers’ Resource, an invaluable source of advice on how to support an employee experiencing mental ill-health.
- Why Mental Health First Aid?
- The Mental Health First Aid action plan.
- What is mental health?
- Impact of mental health issues.
- Stigma and discrimination.
- What is depression?
- Symptoms of depression.
- Risk factors for depression.
- Depression in the workplace.
- Suicide figures.
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health.
- First aid for suicidal crisis.
- Non-judgemental listening skills.
- First aid for depression.
- Treatment and resources for depression.
- What is an anxiety disorder?
- First aid for anxiety disorders.
- Crisis first aid after a traumatic event.
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders.
- Treatment and resources for anxiety disorders.
- Cognitive distortions and CBT.
- Personality disorders.
- Eating disorders.
- What is psychosis?
- Risk factors for psychosis.
- Alcohol, drugs and psychosis.
- Bipolar disorder.
- Warning signs of developing psychosis.
- Crisis first aid for acute psychosis.
- Treatment and resources for psychosis.
- Recovery and building resources.
- Action planning for using MHFA.